6 January 2012

spotlight on...the Saarinen tulip table

A friend recently purchased a Saarinen tulip table and chairs, which I've always loved for their simplicity and clean lines. The tulip table is a classic that comes in various sizes, shapes and colours and will never go out of fashion. And it is so versatile that it can be used with many different styles. From casual to formal, from modern to rustic, this fits into practically any home. 
Via Living Etc.
Eero Saarinen was a native of Finland who moved to the U.S. to study sculpture and architecture. He then turned to furniture design and hooked up with Florence Knoll Bassett and Charles Eames. They became three of the biggest design names in history for their modern and organic furniture designs. Saarinen's Pedestal table and Tulip chair were created in 1956 when he worked for Knoll Associates, which still produces the collection today. His objective was to "clear up the slum of legs" in domestic furniture. 
Mission accomplished, and much, much more. 

Via DecorPad
Via Cococozy

Via If Its Hip Its Here

Via Room for Thinking
Via DecorPad
Via Living Etc.

Via Design Sponge

Via House Beautiful

Via Mallie + Posh

Via DecorPad

Via DecorPad

Via Elle Decor
Which version is your favourite?

3 comments :

  1. Hi Kelly, love the tulip table!! So nice to discover your blog too! I've been blogging for 6 years - I honestly think I was the first decor blogger in Calgary by a long shot because there was NO ONE else when I started! It is so nice to have others now. I will link to you and can't wait to catch up with my reading over here!!

    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the table with the black and white banquet...I like the balancing of soft with the modern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelly, Thanks for sharing this! It's actually something I'd sort of learned a long time ago, forgotten and had on my list to read about. Very interesting and lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!