Whether you work in a cubicle or at home, refreshing your office to create an organized, healthy and comfortable space will allow you to be more productive, less stressed and generally more healthy. Here are a few easy ways to accomplish this.
1. Clean off your desk and keep things in their place. Have a drawer or filing system for papers and to-do lists. Better yet, get them online in the cloud so they are available on all your devices, or get an app for list making and reminders, thereby reducing paper consumption.
2. Use vintage wooden boxes for business cards, and ceramic pots, mugs and bowls for pens, paperclips and do-dads.
3. Add some plants. They not only add natural beauty, they also clean pollutants out of the air and add in oxygen and humidy, making it more comfortable to breathe and have brilliant ideas.
4. Display a personal picture or two in a nice frame. A mugshot of family members or that drawing by your nephew will instantly put a smile on your face while dealing with a looming deadline.
5. Create a pretty DIY mousepad. This post shows how I made mine from a repurposed coffee can lid.
6. Drink lots of water and do it from a refilable glass bottle. A ceramic or glass refillable mug for tea or coffee also helps cut down on paper and plastic cup waste, and can look pretty too. These ones are from ello.
7. Use essentials oils to create a subtle calming atmosphere. The aroma of natural essential oils stimulates the brain and can lift your mood and help alleviate stress. Scenting your office with lavender essential oil is said to reduce computer errors by 25%!
8. Finally, make sure your chair is comfortable. An ergonomic chair will ensure your feet are flat on the floor and your arms at a 90 degree angle when typing. It'll make a world of difference to your back and shoulders.
Here's to working healthy and happy!