22 March 2012

industrial-look IKEA RAST chest refresh

I'm so excited about this upcycling project - a clearance IKEA RAST chest, turned industrial,  for a total of $70. It was a terrific way to save a damaged piece of furniture from the landfill, and organize my entryway. 


I found a RAST chest in the clearance section of IKEA for $20 because it has a crack on the top. I snapped it up to use in my entry as a console table where I can stash all the mail/keys/grocery bags/etc that tend to crowd a small entryway. 

before
I'm loving the industrial lockers and card-catalogue units that are popping up in vintage shops lately but cost a mint. So I decided to go for the look with black paint and plated cup pulls for labelling contents of the chest.  I used water-based Tremclad rust paint in black gloss that was just under $10 (it took two coats), and pulls  from Lee Valley for $6.60 each (simply use the provided nails to attach over the old pull holes).



The last step was to print labels on regular paper and cut to size for the plates. So easy and I'm so pleased with how it turned out. 



The industrial-looking chest works well with all kinds of styling. Hope it inspires you to think about reclaiming a plain and/or damaged piece to update!




18 comments :

  1. Your Rast hack looks fantastic! I love the cup pulls with the labels, they really give it that industrial look you were going for. And your photos are awesome, especially the close-up of the Keys pull.

    I have a Rast hack in mind - you've just given me extra incentive to get it done, thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing what a big difference pulls can make. I love the ones you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Kelly, this looks so great. I love that you are turning it into a practical spot for all those "things" that often don't have a home. Very, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the way you customize it. It turns into a classic elegant cabinet! Cool!

    Furniture

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing Kelly. I love the hardware you chose. It's amazing what a little TLC can do to an Ikea piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible transformation. I had to read it twice, just to make sure it was the same piece. I love the drawer pulls.

    Have a blessed and wonderful day!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out awesome Kelly! Great Job!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. an absolutely fantastic job! average exchange typical chest at an extraordinary cabinet. bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job with this chest, Kelly! Look forward to seeing the reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great transformation! I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am speechless. And trust me, that doesn't happen often. Seriously. Kept having to go back and look at the before ...

    ... and am in love, love with those drawer pulls!

    ... and so thrilled to see something painted something other than distressed white, distressed gray and robin's egg blue (usually distressed!).

    Thanks so much for linking up to our Cinch party!

    :)

    Linda
    www.itallstartedwithpaint.com

    And I'm pinning ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this when I first saw it and I truly appreciate you linking up to the "It's a Cinch" party!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - I love the industrial look and I can't believe this is the same sad little Ikea dresser!

    So glad you joined our Cinch party!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  14. This upgrade is perfect...the color, the handles...just awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing this at our Cinch party.
    Karah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job Kelly! Did you paint the inside as well and/or put liner down? I have an unfinished RAST as well and your piece is definitely inspiring.

    www.jennifer-childs.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. @jenniferchilds

    Thanks Jennifer. I haven't yet had time to do anything to the inside. I didn't paint them as I prefer to line them with paper. Hope to get to it soon! Good luck with your hack!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Kelly! Luck I will definitely need:)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!