24 April 2012

trend to try: open shelving in the kitchen

 OK, maybe this isn't so much of a trend now as just plain good design, but either way, open shelving is something you should consider for your kitchen. First, it opens up the room to allow it to feel bigger and lighter. Second, it forces you to be more organized, since the stuff you have on display has to look good. And third, it's eco-friendly since you are not purchasing a set of upper cabinets. Brilliant. 

House & Home
Country Living

BHG

BHG

BHG

Rue

Rue

Rue
Ginger Sorbara design via The Marion House Book

Lesley Unruh photo
3rd Uncle Design

BHG

5 comments :

  1. I have plans for open shelving in my new house... I can't wait! I love this trend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Open shelving makes a kitchen feel so open. I love how your pictures show they can work with pretty much any style and color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did open shelving when we had to replace cabinets due to water damage. It saves money but being very visual, I love seeing at a glance where things are. Plus eliminating upper cabinets makes the kitchen feel less top-heavy.
    It's important to keep it simple on open shelves- decorative items, like items and cohesive colours achieve that- but I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all over open shelving! I don't see this trend ever going away. Hopefully I will get to do this at some point :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. An open shelving concept is a VERY scary trend to follow! It does indeed train you to be more organized but as time passes by, you buy more and more stuff, and you will have a tendency to simply dump everything on the shelves instead of neatly arranging them like how you used to when you first got your open shelves. It is just human nature I have to admit! Furthermore, the open shelving concept reduces the storage space as compared to the one that an upper cabinet provides. Thus, you have to really think real hard and treat this open storage concept as a commitment to stay neat and tidy always!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!