23 April 2012

monday refresh: small organized entry


I live in a rented condo with a small plain entryway that opens directly into the open living room/dining room. I'm limited in what I can change, but that doesn't mean I can't give it a refresh and make it functional. 

BEFORE (bad point and shoot photo!)
AFTER
I wallpapered the plain white closet door with strippable wallpaper that matches the back dining room wall and the bookcase backing in the living room . The vintage-look glass door knob from Home Depot adds a pretty touch. 


I showed you in this post how I refreshed an IKEA chest to create an industrial-looking storage cabinet that holds everything from mail to shoe polish to shopping bags- everything that I need on my way out the door. The striped mats are also from IKEA, and a large vintage wooden bowl holds scarves and accessories. New gray-brown curtains are from Bouclair Home.


The vintage tray on top of the chest corrals cute Karim Rashid mugs that hold my keys, mints, change and sunglasses.  


A full-length mirror not only makes the space look bigger, but allows me to have a final prep moment before heading out. Black iron hooks make it easy for guests to hang their coats, and an oversized vase holds umbrellas and other stuff. Finally a thrift store makeover lamp adds ambience at night. 


Small but stylish and functional, without spending much or changing much. See, even we renters can refresh our space! 

2 comments :

  1. Kelly that is awesome! I had no idea you were renting? Or did I miss that somehow {bad. bad reader ....} And that Rast hack - aak! Love it!

    Would love to feature this in my "loving your rental series!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job creating a pretty & functional entry :-) Love the wallpapered closet doors with the crystal knob, and great idea to use the mugs to hold your leaving-the-house necessities - I never would have thought of putting sunglasses in a mug!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!