25 February 2012

IKEA wallpapered chair tutorial

Thank you all so much for your atta girl's on my IKEA chair hack that I posted as part of my office makeover project.  This was a $20 chair from the clearance section of IKEA that had been scratched and marked up on the seat. I had lots of questions on how I covered it, so here are the steps. So easy! 


1. Use an allen key to unattach the backrest. 
2. Trace the back onto the backside of the wallpaper you want to use (twice, one for each side). 
3. Cut a little larger than the trace that you made, with scissors. 
4. Use spray adhesive to glue it onto the back side.
5. Use a sharp utility knife to cut along the edges of the chair to get the wallpaper nice and neat. 
6. Repeat for the front of the back rest, and the chair seat. 
7. I used just a touch of semi-gloss polyurethene to go over the wallpaper, to make sure that the edges didn't fray from use. Don't use too much, as it will wet the wallpaper and bubble it. 
8. Use a pencil to punch the holes in the chair back where the screws go, and then screw it back onto the chair. 
9. Voila! Show off your pretty chair. 





13 comments :

  1. I love a hack...and it's the gift that keeps on giving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing that gets me more excited than an Ikea DIY project! I love love love the chair and that wallpaper you chose is just perfect! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all! Love feedback like this. And thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly this is so fun! I'm sharing it on my facebook page. Great job. Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you tell us what wall paper you used. It is so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  6. @suzyHi Suzy, I used Sanitas wallpaper, pattern # DS106822. Available at Home Depot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - what a fab makeover! Love the wallpaper you chose too - very high end look to that little Ikea chair!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love how this turned out. The pattern looks painted on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, this is spectacular. I would never have believed you could wallpaper a chair. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial. I just love how this chair turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your chair is beautiful! Thank you for the tutorial too, I think I'd like to try this on my barstools. I have this linked to my chairs post as well today, for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!