OK, I'm heading into the home stretch now on finishing up my office. If you missed the first part of this 6-week challenge to finish a room, check out the posts starting in week 1. This week, in an effort to save money and practice what I preach about sustainable designing, I created home-made art, and hacked a discount IKEA chair that had been in my storage closet for a while, instead of buying new.
First up, DIY art. I made 3 abstract paintings out of leftover mdf board from another project. First I used primer and then just tried out some patterns until I was happy with the result. Then I drilled a hole in the back of each for hanging on the wall.
Next was figuring out how to use an IKEA Nordmyra chair that I picked up a while ago in the clearance section for $20. It was all scratched up, but nothing a little camouflage wouldn't fix. I simply cut pieces of wallpaper to size and used spray adhesive to cover the seat and back. I also covered it all with a glaze, just to make sure the edges held tight.
Check out this post for a tutorial on how I wallpapered this chair.
So I am almost there with the room. Just figuring out storage now, so that the office is not only pretty but functional. Check in next week for a post on my organizing solutions. And to see this challenge from the beginning, here you go.
And make sure to check in on the other talented participants to see how their rooms are progressing.