8 February 2012

one room challenge - week 4

OK, I'm heading into the home stretch now on finishing up my office. If you missed the first part of this 6-week challenge to finish a room, check out the posts starting in week 1. This week, in an effort to save money and practice what I preach about sustainable designing, I created home-made art, and hacked a discount IKEA chair that had been in my storage closet for a while, instead of buying new.

First up, DIY art. I made 3 abstract paintings out of leftover mdf board from another project. First I used primer and then just tried out some patterns until I was happy with the result. Then I drilled a hole in the back of each for hanging on the wall. 



Next was figuring out how to use an IKEA Nordmyra chair that I picked up a while ago in the clearance section for $20. It was all scratched up, but nothing a little camouflage wouldn't fix. I simply cut pieces of wallpaper to size and used spray adhesive to cover the seat and back. I also covered it all with a glaze, just to make sure the edges held tight.




Check out this post for a tutorial on how I wallpapered this chair.

So I am almost there with the room. Just figuring out storage now, so that the office is not only pretty but functional. Check in next week for a post on my organizing solutions. And to see this challenge from the beginning, here you go.

And make sure to check in on the other talented participants to see how their rooms are progressing.



15 comments :

  1. Your artwork looks great...but OH, that chair! You must send it in to Ikea Hackers. What a great idea. My daughter wants an original chair, and that is perfect. Can't wait to see the finished room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am envious of your art ability! I posted about art today too!! Your chair is another piece of art!! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving this room more and more all the time Kelly!
    LOVE what you did with the chair. It's so pretty. and I thought you were going to say it was stenciled...can't believe that's wallpaper! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the artwork! The colors are so pretty! I would have never thought of covering a chair with wallpaper, that idea is genius! I love the way everything is coming together and so awesome that you are doing it so inexpensively!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in LOVE with that chair!!! Super creative!!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the art looks like seascapes, so cool that you did that yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your chair...such a great idea and it looks like you executed it flawlessly. I'm excited to watch your room come together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! Your abstract art and chair are amazing! You are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I need a tutorial on the chair...that looks AMAZING!! Can't wait to see the end result ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your art came out so well! They're beautiful! And I love love that chair, what a great IKEA hack!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @designchic
    Thanks all! The chair was super easy to do. I just cut a piece of wallpaper slightly oversized to what I needed for the seat and back, glued it on with spray adhesive, and then carefully trimmed to the edges with a sharp knife.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The wallpaper is so pretty and that chair is now stunning..keep wishing I had an Ikea close by. Great artwork, too. It looks like it will add pattern and color to your room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your art looks so great. I always find it difficult to make my own abstract art - you really nailed it! The chair looks awesome too :) I'm loving your color scheme :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE that chair! and the art is fabulous, too! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’m very interested in seeing what you plan for storage for the office as this is a major headache in my house. I too have a home office and the desk and seating are new and look very nice, however there is nowhere to keep my papers tidy and neat and they end up in piles on any surface I can find.  Please help!                                                      

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!