10 April 2012

water conservation never looked so good

I read an intriguing article in Whole Living magazine on the weekend about the dire need for us all to get better at conserving water. Did you know that nearly two-thirds of the world's population will experience water shortages by 2025? That is scary. Whole Living gives some great tips on everyday things we can do help save our water supply, and some of them even give us great excuses to amp up our style as well! 

For instance, tip #5: choose efficient appliances. Who doesn't want a good reason to upgrade your washer and dryer and, for that matter, your whole laundry room?

House and Home
And tip #17: keep a pitcher of water in the fridge. So why not have a pretty pitcher that will encourage you to bring it out and use it often? 

Pottery Barn
How about tip #24: harvest the rain. What better reason to pretty up your yard? 

Sunset
Tip#36: swap shower heads. There are so many beautiful energy-efficient options these days. 

Shower Filters
And of course tip #39: upgrade your toilet. And the bathroom around it?

Houzz
Check out the other great tips for eco-friendly and all-around healthy living at Whole Living

8 comments :

  1. Back a few years ago when we had our famous drought and Atlanta was wanting to run a pipeline to the Tennessee River AND insisting the state line move a mile north to achieve it, we were busy saving water every which way. We have rain barrels, but our next home we'd like to have a little diverter from under the kitchen sink so the graywater/dishwater from there feeds the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a interesting and valuable post Kelly. I am going to read that article now :)I'm all about saving water these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw a sign for free rain barrels. They probably won't be as pretty as the one in the above image, but I'm happy to have a plastic one if it means conserving some more water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these tips and beautifully done ... I want rain barrels ... I will invest!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @crisangsteninteriors.com

    Using gray water would be the ultimate. Being faced with a terrifying situation like you did really puts conservation into perspective. Its something we should all be doing now.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Cre8ive Motives

    I know, I've been really conscious these days as well. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have often heard about the water shortages that we could face - very scary. These are great tips that one could easily implement. I do need to upgrade my washing machine.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!