9 April 2012

quick refresh: bookcase makeover

Here's an easy and dramatic refresh: add backing to a bookcase. 


My IKEA bookcase was being used as a media unit, but when I changed it out to make it a proper bookshelf in my living room, I added a wallpaper backing to make it pretty and help the items on it stand out. 


It was simple and cheap- I cut thin foam core board from the dollar store to the size of the bookcase, and wrapped in wallpaper I had leftover from another project. Then I used black duct tape to tape it to the back of the case along the edges, so that it blended into the black of the case. 


I'm all for finding simple and sustainable ways to refresh your space without buying all kinds of new "stuff". 

4 comments :

  1. Love this idea! I am currently working on doing the same thing in an old secretary ... I'll have to share photos when I am done. Such a beautiful transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an antique secretary that I think I'm going to add fabric or paper to the back of...it needs a little something something!

    Also, just noticed that Kim who posted before me said the exact same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea, Kelly! I love the patterned paper.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!