22 January 2015

create a home meditation space

I started meditating last year when I realized that I was getting too caught up in the rush of work, commuting, social media and trying to "be more" all the time. While it's still challenging a lot of the time, meditating lets me put a little space between my ego, with its constant thinking and planning and worrying, and my Being. But quieting the mind is not easy - at least not for me. So it's been helpful to carve out a  little corner of my condo where I'm surrounded by things I love and where I can build a consistent routine of being still and present. This little sacred space is a spot for me to be calm and meditate, and also sometimes to read uplifting or spiritual books, to drink tea, to set intentions and to journal about gratitude and what's in my heart. I think that meditating doesn't have to be so intimidating - it can simply entail sitting quietly, breathing and reflecting on God's Word or anything that you believe in that's bigger than yourself. Not feeling like I have to master meditating for an hour at a time has been helpful.

create a meditation space at home

A few things to keep in mind when creating this kind of nook in our homes:
  • Select a space that's quiet, away from the traffic zone, and not used for sleeping or cooking or watching anything on screens.
  • Have cushions and blankets to make it comfortable, and keep the temperature regulated. 
  • Have a focal point - perhaps a little altar or symbol that has special meaning. 
  • Appeal to the senses. Diffusing the air with lavender or other essential oils is a great idea, as is a naturally-scented soy candle. Sometimes light music or nature sounds help. And soft lighting from lamps or candles (not overhead lighting) is a must. 
  • Include natural elements in order to feel connected to the earth and the world we are a part of. Bring in flowers, branches, rocks and/or green plants. 
  • Keep clutter to a minimum to induce a calming, peaceful feeling. Just keep the space simple. 

sacred space in your home
via

create a home meditation space
via

create a home meditation space
via

creating a home meditation room
via

create a home meditation room
via

simple meditation space at home
via

create a home meditation corner
via

via


Please let me know if you also meditate and if you have any tips on what has worked well for you! Namaste.



2 comments :

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!