7 July 2013

how to use white at the cottage

Yes, you can use white at the cottage and not worry about dirty feet and food-covered kids. Think about using white to lighten the inside so that it matches the outside and reflects lots of that brilliant sunshine you are there for. 

White walls, white tables and white cabinetry can be covered with a protective water-based polyurethene so they can be easily wiped down. Or get rid of your upper kitchen cabinets and replace them with white open shelving. White slip-covered (and washable) furniture works well, and washable white cotton curtains give a casual cottage vibe and draw your eye to the view. Think about switching out old dark light fixtures with hanging white pendants. White plastic (and designer knock-off) dining chairs stand up to heavy bum traffic. Finally, bring the white outside and paint old deck floors. 

Blend all that white with natural hues and materials for a relaxing and inviting feel. Enjoy! 

white and natural cottage
source
source
modern cottage kitchen
source
contemporary cottage with wood
source
source
modern industrial kitchen
source
source
natural modern cottage
source
source

5 comments :

  1. White just screams of relaxation - perfect for any home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it- white with kids and pets still scare me but I do all white walls, white cotton curtains and many accessories. I just do a dark grey slipcovered sofa in place of white.

    I don't use bleach in the wash (enviro reasons) and I just can't get whites white- so I avoid them & bleach and stick with my cold water wash.

    Thanks for the lovely images!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Barbara Matson Right!? Perfect anytime, anywhere in my books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @cred Gray slip covers would look fantastic with the white walls. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these images, it is so fresh and calming. I've pinned a bunch of them. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!