10 November 2011

top small space ideas

I'm a believer in only living in as much space as you really need. Living small is cozier, environmentally-friendlier, and better for the bank account. Plus it forces you to be organized and have a space that is less stressful and easier to live in.

Nate Berkus and Dwell magazine have each focused recently on living well in small spaces so I recommend looking at their sites for some great tips.

Here are my own top ideas for small spaces based on tricks that I've used and seen:

1. Remove walls so that you have an open-space plan. An open airy floor feels much bigger.

living small tips
via
2. Keep flooring, wall and ceiling materials consistent for a seamless look that tricks the eye into traveling further through the space.

3. Keep things organized and tidy, starting with the entry.

4. Use vertical space for storage and to create interest and a sense of height.

5.Use corner space wisely. You can really fit a lot into a tight corner.

6. Use mirrors and reflective surfaces to bounce light and make the room feel larger. And on that note, make sure you have clean windows that are kept open for maximum light exposure.
                                                         

7. Turn awkward space into usable areas. Get creative.

via
8. Don't be afraid to use large pieces of furniture.

Style at Home
9. Use pieces with open legs, so that it feels more airy and less bulky.

10. Make your furniture and rooms do double duty. A desk in the living room can be used for office work and to hold the TV or components. Stools can be used as side tables and extra seating. A trunk can be used for a coffee table and extra storage. A dresser in a dining area is a sideboard plus storage.

I hope you are inspired to live small, and well! Good luck, and please send along any other tips you have. I am living small too, and always looking for new ideas. 

3 comments :

  1. I love all of your ideas! Fantastic advice...I am curious, you did not mention...I don't think....paint color? Is it important to keep walls a light color? For me, it makes it feel so much brighter and "happier".

    ReplyDelete
  2. @My Crafty Home-Life
    While I also typically go for light and bright paint colours, I don't believe that a small space has to go light. I have had success with going dark and bold in small rooms as well. It can make it feel cozy and warm. A small bathroom works well with this theory, but also a living space can handle it if you keep in mind that light colour flooring helps, as does lots of natural light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creating some storage space for your house does not necessarily mean that it should be dreary and dull or just simply boring. It is good to blend in the items that you are going to store with the design of these storage cabinets. And these designs are just top of my bill! The designs are cozy and blend well with the environment and personality of the entire space.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!