The lowly garden shed has grown up. Europeans have embraced using sheds as living space for some time, and it is now catching on in North America as well. Here are 11 reasons why you should think about building a shed in the backyard, or turning your existing shed into an extension of your home.
1. It can be the space you don't have in the house for a home office. Also great if you have clients that come to your office, since they don't need to go in the house.
2. It's a retreat, separate from the house and the rest of its occupants and responsibilities.
3. It can be an art or craft studio where everything has a place.
4. It's a playroom for kids that is all their own.
5. It can be a hobby room for say, a musician or gamer, where they can be as loud as they want.
|via decorated shed|
6. How about a yoga studio or gym space?
7. It's a great way to extend outdoor living space from house to patio to dining area.
8. Make it a greenhouse to grow fresh herbs and veggies year-round.
9. It can actually be a beautiful gardening and storage space.
10. It's cost effective - one room means reasonable cash commitment. There are even some affordable pre-fab sheds that you can get creative with.
11. It can add value to your home. An extra room that is fully functional will certainly add immediate value to your property. You will be the envy of the neighbourhood!
So, is your shed living up to its potential?