23 July 2011

spotlight on...tufted benches


Tufting was born under Napoleon III, a period of opulence and abundance, but it is a classic look that has stood the test of time. Buttons and tufting resurfaced in a modern way in 1929 when designer Ludwig Mies van der Roh created his famous Barcelona chair.  The 1930's Hollywood Regency style touted tufted chairs and benches, and tufted tub chairs were all the rage in the '60's. 

Today's look can be both modern or vintage, with all kinds of materials used. I would love to have any of these benches in my bedroom. 
source

source


source

source

from ebay

source


3 comments :

  1. Oh yes, I like this look! I'd love a clean lined, tufted sofa for our living room, but my Fella is convinced that the buttons would be uncomfortable. Whatever!! ;-)
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. @rachel @ Just a Touch of Gray
    Thanks Rachel- me too. Ah, if only I could have one in my own house!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!