29 August 2012

spotlight on... Jacobsen's egg chair

Arne Jacobsen was a Danish architect and designer famous for his furniture designs of the 50's, such as the iconic egg chair.  

House and Home
Jacobsen created the egg chair and swan chair as part of designing the SAS Royal Hotel in Copenhagen from 1956-1960. Jacobsen was a proponent of proportion, as is seen in all of his designs, including the egg chair. 

jacobsen egg chair
Design Sponge
Though always a classic, the egg chair has recently once again experienced a surge in popularity, with new takes on the fabric or leather covering. I've noticed that Restoration Hardware has their version front and centre in their Fall store display. 

Restoration Hardware
Here are a few others that are pretty groovy. 

modern egg chair
Design Within Reach

Hive Modern

Occa-Home

Gotta keep my eyes open for a vintage one...

4 comments :

  1. Last year at the Tulalip outlet I stumbled into the Restoration Hardware outlet store. There it was brown leather Egg chair repro. I wanted it sooo Bad. Why did I got on a trip with 4 girls in a hatchback!!! Sad, I left it behind, but only after thinking about strapping it to the roof and getting no love from my shopping companions who DID NOT UNDERSTAND. If it was my car I probably would have:) I hope you find one Kelly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For brown leather repros of the egg chair, head over to www.emfurn.com
      we offer free shipping :)

      Delete
  2. @Nicole Scott
    Ha! You gave me my laugh for today! That sounds so familiar! My friends can't understand why we need to stop at every vintage store or flea market wherever we go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Egg chair ... there will always be a love!! It is like the quintessential traditional wing chair ... gone FUN!! Hope you get one! xo

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!