18 March 2014

growing veggies on the patio

My visit to Canada Blooms on the weekend inspired me to expand my patio garden plans. There's nothing more satisfying than growing your own food. Except maybe eating it. Fresh organic produce can't be beat.

So far I've started basil and lettuce in my sunny patio window - they're good early growers and good for window growing. Lettuce, peppers and patio cucumbers, and of course, tomatoes, are next. Tomatoes love the hot sun, so my south facing patio will be perfect. Wonder if I'll still be able to fit a chair out there for reading...

PS - this post has cheap DIY plant pot ideas using natural materials. 

patio vegetable garden

Here are some resources if you too are inspired to create your own container garden:

Urban Harvest - a local Ontario company selling organic and untreated seeds. 
Veseys Seeds - a long-time fave from PEI. 
Organic Gardening has wonderful organic growing info. 
Canadian Gardening - lots of inspiration and ideas.
Mark Cullen, the Canadian garden guru.

4 comments :

  1. My Basil and Chives are in the kitchen window too....growing like crazy - There's a link party thing on twitter tomorrow night on use of up-cycled items in the garden. I'll be there you should come too! Happy Spring Kelly! http://www.usedeverywhere.com/usedparty-upcycling-for-the-garden/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole, I'm going to head over there! Happy Spring!

      Delete
  2. I found this post through Apartment Therapy and I'm desperate to know where you got those chairs; they look sooooo comfy and space efficient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, thanks for joining from AT! I'm sorry that I don't know where the chairs came from - this photo is one that I borrowed from a website that now no longer exists, so I was not able to find out the info from them. I love the sleek space-saving design as well. The closest I've found is this Barcelona Beach chair - not quite the same, but still space efficient. Hope that helps. http://tressle.com/collections/outdoor-patio-garden/products/barcelona-beach-chair-side-table-by-design-ideas

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!